Sunday, September 6, 2009

Lonesome Nights

Lonesome Nights
 
The shy ears of the sage unfurl
Standing ready to hear my heart.
It’s here among the cholla and dirt
My time for reflection can start.

Burning orange across the horizon
Are the few remaining embers of day,
Slicing the landscape and the night
In the most unforgiving way.

I hear my pony cropping grass
And thank him for today’s ride.
It’s out here when we’re all alone
These feelings well up inside.

I pull the stars over me like a blanket
And my saddle’s where I lay my head.
I’d rather be out here tonight
Than facing my empty bed.

A lonesome coyote yips in the night
And is joined by a chorus on the hill.
I take in their haunting symphony
And pull my Winchester closer still.

A girl’s gotta keep her guard up
When she’s out here on her own
Because as soon as she gives in a little
She knows her weakness has shown.

I’ve had my heart broken time and again
And I’m ready to give up on love.
I guess I don’t deserve the cowboy
Who doesn’t need to push or shove.

I’m like a spooky colt now
When he reaches out his hand.
Knees quivering, eyes rimmed white
I don’t know whether to bolt or stand.

Part of me wants to take a bit,
Be corralled to a home as a wife,
But part of me still wants to run
And see what I can do in this life.

It’s on lonely nights like these
That I long for a pair or strong arms,
Someone to hold me close
And draw me in with his charms.

I want to feel his breath on my neck
And have a love that will never end.
I want to hear a deep soothing voice
But all I hear is the wind.

The coyotes keep howlin’ in my living room of sage
And stars twinkle bright overhead.
I’d still rather be out here tonight
Than facing my empty bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment