Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cavieta

Cavieta
 
Bring in the cavieta, boys,
I want to see them through my window
Rolling off that sea of prairie
Wherever the wind will blow.

Moonlight shinin' off arched dun backs
And stars kissin' sorrel manes,
Run home that cavieta, boys,
Let the horses free me from my chains.

I braid my hair into a riata
And wish I could throw it down tonight
And catch a piece of freedom,
Caress smooth hide and take flight.

I'd go running out across The Divide
To where the rivers run west,
There I'd find a piece of myself
And maybe I'd lose the rest.

I see him on his tall bay
Bringing the horses in,
The man that has my heart and soul
And I long to feel his skin.

I get drunk on the moonlight,
Not the whiskey in my glass.
I don't know if he loves me
And I'm too afraid to ask.

So maybe I'll just run away
Before he sees me cry,
Or maybe he'll have an eclipse of the heart
And give real romance a try.

That's more than I can hope for,
I don't deserve a rose
So instead I watch him from my window
And hold his wild rag close.

I wish I didn't want him
Or that he wanted me, too
For more than just a plaything
Or when there's laundry to do.

His is the kiss I ache for,
The arms I need to hold me tight,
So I take him when I can have him
And watch him in the night

When he brings in the cavieta…
I see them through my window
Rolling off that sea of prairie,
Wherever the wind will blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment