Saturday, August 8, 2009

Toughest Cowboy

Toughest Cowboy
For Jared Green
 
Load me in some horses,
Make sure they’re good and rank.
I can twist the salty ones,
Rowels dancin’ shoulder to flank.

That thrashin’ gray stud
Ain’t got nothin’ on me,
It gets my blood to boilin’
‘Till the ride is all I see.

He’s goin’ over the chute
Tryin’ to prove he’s mean and tough
But I’m a ten times badder mother
And I love it when it’s rough.

In a screamin’ stompin’ whirlwind
I’m at the eye of the storm,
My nerves are all electrified
And my need is runnin’ warm.

Got my riggin’ suckered down tight,
My hat screwed on my head,
I’ll be puttin’ steel to hide
Until I’m broke or dead.

Climbin’ over the gate now
To take my seat upon the back
Of twelve hundred pounds of muscle
And a heart and soul turned black.

His widow maker days are through,
He’s met his equal now,
I’ll ride the hair off this cayuse
Until he’ll pull a plow.

Got my hand wedged in there,
Turn ‘em out boys, jerk the gate
‘Cause the world’s toughest cowboy
Is about to ride for eight.

My heels are set deep,
First jump now spur him raw,
Toes pointed, perfect form,
Best ride you ever saw.

Chin tucked down, knees workin’
Through nine kicks and one quick turn,
He’s tryin’ to touch his nose to tail
And my muscles are feelin’ the burn.

Adrenaline flowin’, crowd screamin’,
The whistle brings them to her feet,
The gray gives up the fight
And victory tastes so sweet.

I hear the pick-up man comin’ hard,
Ridin’ like hell to get alongside
My eight second business partner
And save me a little hide.

Let go and lean, slide off,
Both boots are on the dirt,
One more ride where I walk away
With a paycheck instead of hurt.

I spend a couple nights at home
Until I’m up again,
I pack my war bag and kiss my girl
And know leavin’ her’s a sin.

But she knows how to handle it
And she’s always waitin’ when I call
Because even the toughest cowboy
Needs a gentle place to fall.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment