Thursday, July 23, 2009

Cowboy Heroes

Cowboy Heroes

The round corral was my playpen,
I had ropes and spurs for toys.
I'm blessed to have grown up free in the West
Where my heroes have always been cowboys.

I never had a pony,
Always had a horse.
Quittin' was never tolerated,
I learned to stay the course.

When other kids were swimmin'
In the town swimmin' pool
I was splashin' in a stock tank
With the cow dogs to keep cool.

When they were playin' little league
I was at junior rodeos
Learnin' to run a hole in the wind
And rope 'em horns to toes.

Other girls had dresses
And I had hand-me-down chinks
But to this day I love 'em
And don't care what prissy girls think.

A boy didn't break my heart the first time
But the loss of my old roan did.
Workin' brandings and ropin' chutes
I proved I was one tough kid.

I missed my senior prom
Because it was calvin' time
And the hired man was sick
So the responsibility was mine.

I tried to manage college
After graduation
But I figure the ranch
Is where I'll get my education.

I don't have much use for psychology
Unless I philosophize cows,
And I ain't takin' trigonometry,
No way, no how.

I could care less about art history
Because the most beautiful thing you'll see
Is a sunset painted by the hand of God
Where wild horses still run free.

Humanities would be pointless
And the only biology I need
Is the kind I already know:
That of bovine and steed.

About the only hankerin' I'd have
To get a higher education of sorts
Is for the late night dancin', cheap beer,
And the thrill of college sports.

Oh sure, there's more cute guys
Than I'll find out here with the cows
But I don't take too well to city boys
Who won't live by the sweat of their brow.

I've got a longin' for a cowboy
That will sweep me off my boots,
One with a few good horses
That can rope and work the chutes.

I'd like him to be tall
With shoulders like a bull,
A narrow waist to fill his Wranglers
And hands that have some pull.

A man with a pretty smile and gorgeous eyes
That will pull me under their gaze
And make me feel complete,
A man I'll love the rest of my days.

I suppose I'lll wait right here
‘Til my knight in shining spurs comes along,
Then we'll raise up a couple youngin's
In the country where we belong.

The round corral will be their playpen
And they'll have ropes and spurs for toys,
They'll be blessed to grow up free in the West
And their heroes will always be cowboys.

No comments:

Post a Comment