Friday, July 24, 2009

Through The Storm

Through the Storm
 
Cinch up your stampede strings,
The wind chill is 30-below.
With a good cold snap in Wyoming
Comes wind and ice and snow.

Dig out that sheepskin coat
And somethin’ better than fencing gloves.
I’ll put on a pot of elk chili
And that cider that you love.

Plug in the pickups tonight,
They don’t start so well when it’s cold.
This is a night to bring in the dog,
After all, he’s gettin’ old.

Find the Coleman lanterns,
The power sometimes goes out,
Replace the weather stripping,
It’s gone bad without a doubt.

Cows are calving in this storm,
Of course they won’t go to the shed.
We’ll lose many a calf this year,
A fact that’s heavy in my head.

Will our hay crop last?
Will the crick stay froze?
I hate the chore of haulin’ water
With frozen fingers and toes.

But winter’s not all bad,
I can hold you through the storm.
When the house is dark and cold
We’ll keep each other warm.

I’ll make your breakfast in the morning
And have your coat by the door,
Give you a quick kiss goodbye
Even though I’m longing for more.

You’ll come home when the work is done,
Cheeks red and close to froze
But I’ll have your supper hot and waiting,
The dryer ready for your clothes.

You can thaw out in a hot shower,
I’ve got your towel all warm,
Then we’ll open a good bottle of Pendleton
And you can hold me through the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment